There are two key organizations to which many trade professionals belong: NAHB and NARI. 

Look for Certifications

Though there are no ironclad guarantees of quality, a builder or remodeler who maintains membership and has certifications in these organizations is likely to follow top-tier practices in their trade.

The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)

NAHB is a Washington, D.C.-based trade association whose broad mission is to enhance the climate for housing, homeownership and the residential building industry. A federation of more than 800 state and local associations, NAHB has 160,000 members nationwide; about one-third of those are home builders and remodelers. The members of NAHB are dedicated to providing the highest quality new home available or adding a new twist to your existing one. To find detailed information about a NAHB member builder, service provider, or remodeler in your area, visit the NAHB website.

National Association of Remodeling Industry (NARI)

NARI is the only independent national association dedicated solely to the remodeling industry. NARI's focus is on professional conduct, continuing education and training, and fair and ethical treatment within the industry. NARI certification of professional remodeling contractors serves as the association's recognition of remodeling professionals who have met stringent criteria for experience and pledged a commitment to high standards of practice and NARI's Code of Ethics. NARI’s website offers a wealth of information to homeowners, from budget worksheets to remodeling and hiring tips, and beyond. To find a professional NARI member remodeler, visit the NARI website.

Consider a VSI-certified installer

If you’re giving your home a new, maintenance-free vinyl siding exterior, you may think that after researching the types of siding and choosing the best product you can afford, you’re on your way to a happy ending. Not yet. Without an excellent installer, your best-laid plans could come up short. The secret to a good installation experience? Hire a VSI-certified installer.